Monday, January 4, 2010

Method 8

Social Networking -

I have been a long personal user of Facebook, Myspace and more recently, Twitter. While, my library does not currently have a presence on any of these sites, I hope to change this as soon as possible in my new position. I feel it is incredibly useful as a marketing tool to go wherever the users may be. This could be a physical presence in student dorms, or a virtual one on Facebook. It not only serves as a constant reminder of the library, but also gives librarians the opportunity to engage, listen to and respond to the issues and thoughts of their patrons.

While I think all three options should be explored for libraries, I believe Twitter may be the most useful option, as it is fairly unintrusive, allows for rapid communication to wide audience, and has a very powerful search capability.

No comments: