Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Method 9

I have used a variety of messenger programs in the past - including ICQ, AIM, and Yahoo. But I have limited experience with aggregator programs. I think some of these programs might be very useful for a library, especially if they can also centralize activity on the library's facebook and myspace accounts into this program.

Although Meebo, doesn't have this capability it does appear to be a very effective instant messaging system for libraries. Our library is planning on implementing Meebo in the near future (we currently use Pidgin) and the capability to have the client appear on every page of the library website should increase usage of the instant messaging reference service.

I tried sending a message on the tslacdl website because I noticed the user was online, but unfortunately I didn't receive a response. Not having an auto-generated response to let users no the message was received and someone will be with the momentarily might be a problem for people in a situation like I was, who are not sure if the user is away from the desk, or busy with another patron, or just not receiving my message.

No comments: